ESL & Basic Literacy Tutoring
LCMC’s English as a Second Language (ESL) and Basic Literacy (BL) tutoring programs are among the largest in Montgomery County, serving 800 or more adult learners each year.
The BASIC LITERACY TUTORING PROGRAM works with adults who speak and understand English but are reading and writing below a fourth grade level.
The ENGLISH FOR SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES (ESL) TUTORING PROGRAM works with adults who speak English at a low level; it teaches reading, writing, listening comprehension, and speaking.
Tutoring is carried out by trained volunteers who meet with one or more students at locations throughout Montgomery County, for 2 hours each week. Tutoring is an effective way to serve learners who …
- have limited schedule flexibility
- have special learning needs that may make it hard for them to learn in a classroom
- have not attended school before
- who need privacy or confidentiality
- who simply need to learn at their own pace