2018 ESL Legacy Scholarship Applications Open!January 10th, 2018
We are pleased to announce the continuation of the ESL Legacy Scholarship. Thanks to the generosity of a donor, and in partnership with The Community Foundation and Future Link, the ESL Legacy Scholarship provides financial support to children whose parents studied English as a Second Language (ESL) through the classroom or tutoring programs at LCMC.
Recipients of the ESL Legacy Scholarship will receive:
- Up to $5,000 per year in college scholarship funding.
- A sponsored spot in the Future Link 14-week Self-advocacy and Career Development Seminar, which includes informational interviews with leaders in your chosen career field.
The ESL Legacy Scholarship may be awarded to a student who:
- Is a high school senior planning to begin college in fall 2016 OR a current part-time college student who would like to attend full time.
- Has a parent or guardian who has completed a minimum of two English classes ORone year of tutoring at LCMC.
- Is dedicated to pursuing higher education.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of:
- Financial need
- Past academic performance (minimum 2.5 GPA)
- Extra-curricular activities
- A personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
If you are a current or former student who has a child who meets these qualifications, or if you are a teacher or tutor whose student(s) has or have children who meet these qualifications, please pass this information on to them.
Please find a copy of the application here.
The application deadline for the ESL Legacy Scholarship is March 30, 2018. The ESL Legacy Scholarship is administered in partnership between The Literacy Council of Montgomery County, Future Link, and the Greater Washington Community Foundation. Questions about the ESL Legacy Scholarship may be directed to Gabriel Martinez Cabrera, Executive Director, The Literacy Council of Montgomery County, by phone at (301) 610-0030 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.